Windshield Replacement Scams
Unfortunately it seems there is always someone who is looking for a way to take advantage of the naïve. It's no different in the auto glass world.
Be Wary of Someone Who Suggests:
- To replace the entire window when you have a small chip in the glass. If the windshield is repairable and you have it replaced instead this is considered insurance fraud.
- Offers to give you cash in return for letting them do your insurance glass job. Offering "money back" on a fully covered insurance job could be considered unethical or even insurance fraud as well.
- They are unwilling to give you a written estimate before the work is started. It is always wise to have a written estimate before work begins even on a smaller item like a windshield repair.
- To let them do the job "off the books". This should be a warning sign that you are dealing with an individual that is skirting the law or may not even be certified.
- That you must use their service because they are the authorized shop for "Big Insurance Corp" insurance. You have a legal right to choose your service provider. Your insurance company can only suggest, not demand, that you use their preferred shop.