What Can Be Repaired?
Windshield repair has come a long way in the last several years. Many people tend to believe that if you have a chip or crack that begins to spread it is simply beyond repair. The good news is this is no longer true! You may be surprised to learn that often repair specialists can repair cracks that have spread up to 6 inches long! While there will certainly be instances where it is not advisable to repair your windshield be certain you know your options.
When Replacement Is A Better Option:
- The windshield chip or crack extends from the outside layer of glass through to the inside layer.
- The chip has a crack that is in excess of 3-4 inches long extending from it. (There are occasions when this can still be repaired – check with the pros.)
- A crack runs directly through the driver's line of sight, which could become a distraction.
- A crack touches more than one edge of the windshield. This could jeopardize the integrity of the windshield.
- You have a specialty windshield (fully heated, rain sensitive, heads up display) and the chip or crack impairs its proper usage.
You should not use this list as an absolute authority. Even if your situation is listed please talk to an auto glass professional before making a decision.